[Heath] SB 100 and SB 102

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 11:12:29 EDT 2012

First of all, the LMO in the SB-102 is solid-state and the LMO in both the SB-100 and SB-101 are tube type.

Next, both the SB-101 and SB-102 came with the switch and circuitry so that the 400 Hz CW filter can be installed.  The SB-100 does not have this.

The SB-101 and SB-102 have a switch position that allows frequency control from the external LMO (both receive and transmit) and the SB-100 does not have this.

There are 2 "spare" RCA jacks on the back of both the SB-101 and SB-102 which are not present in the SB-100.

The SB-100 and SB-101 use a 6AU6 as the receiver "front end" and the SB-102 uses a 6HS6 which gives a slight improvement.  Unfortunately, the 6HS6 tubes are scarce these days and most have gone back to the 6AU6 when that tube goes bad.

Some SB-102 units came with solid-state LMOs not built by TRW.  Those non-TRW LMOs often have problems "tracking" frequency between the 100 kHz points.  That is, the calibration can be "way off" at the 1 kHz marks on the dial although generally accurate at the 100 kHz marks.  The TRW LMOs track well within 1 kHz at the points between the 100 kHz marks.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com