[Heath] Results of experiment with reactivation of 572Bs in SB-200

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Aug 8 12:03:28 EDT 2012

On 8 Aug 2012 at 9:29, G3OOU at aol.com wrote:

> Hi Ken

Hello, Bob. Nice to hear from you again. :-)

> Thanks for your explanatory email on 572Bs made in China. I wondered
> if the heater current in those is the same as the originals or lower?

Heater current appears to be identical with the originals, but I have not yet
checked that to be certain.

> This all shows that skimping on the design and manufacture for the
> sake of  a dollar or two is a really false economy.

Absolutely correct. They can sell a pair of "572Bs" every year to any users
who uses his amp regularly. That seems to me to be false "economy". I
would think that with all the dual-572B amps there are in the world, they
could make MORE money by offering tubes that were reliable and of good
quality.

If higher quality more reliable tubes were available, more users would be
resurrecting and using older amps, and building amps which used them.

As it is now, we either have to put up with crappy unreliable tubes, or go to
something more up-to-date.

As soon as I have finished my modification to my SB-200, I'll let others know
the details.

vy 73, Bob.

Ken W7EKB