[Heath] D-104 amplified or microphone for SB-101 Heathkit Rig

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 12:00:25 EST 2012

Occasionally, I use an amplified D-104 on my SB-110A which is basically the same as the SB-101 except for 6-meters.  The only thing is that one has to be very careful as to how high the level control is set.  Start with the level control all the way counter-clockwise and gradually turn it clockwise.  This control usually will be set between 10% and 20% from minimum.

With the SB-110A, I find that by using an amplified microphone helps reduce the background "hum" because the microphone level control in the transceiver does not have to be run as high as when a non-amplified microphone is used.  The residual hum in my SB-110A meets specifications but, when working stations that are really local (like 1/2-mile to 2-miles away), the hum is noticeable, increasing as the microphone level is increased.  When the amplified microphone is used, the microphone level is not turned very high and the residual hum is reduced considerably.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com