[Heath] More on my IP-27

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Tue Jun 19 20:15:18 EDT 2012

Hi Ken,

The IP-27 is one of my favorite pieces of Heath lab equipment - I use
mine all the time.

I had some problems with IP-27 supplies years ago, and I traced them
mostly to the transformer.

This is all from memory, and about 35 years ago, so bear with me. :-)

The problem that I had was that the reference circuit uses a
half-wave rectifier, Zener and a large filter capacitor.  The filter
capacitor inrush current kept burning out the rectifier when I turned
the supply on. This effectively connected the capacitor across the
reference winding of the transformer, burning the winding  out.  I
actually replaced an IP-27 transformer (bought new as a replacement
from Heathkit); what a job!

My fix was to put a resistor in series with the rectifier to limit
the inrush current. The Zener current is not too high, so some
resistance here will not affect the regulation at all, but will
protect the diode and thus the transformer. Something like 10 - 47
ohms at a couple of watts comes to mind.

I suggest that you check the voltage on the transformer taps. This
was what got my transformer. The reference winding was still good,
but the heat that it generated during overload ended up shorting two
of the other windings.

Hope this helps.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI