[Heath] Fw: Heathkit SB-610

Mark Johnson mvjohn at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 8 10:52:06 EST 2012

I may be coming into this notes stream a bit late.....But I've had great success with connecting SB-610's to various Heath transceivers. I use RG-174 coax within the transceiver to the output jack and ordinary RG-58 from the transceiver to the SB-610. I use a 6pf cap to connect the IF board to the RG-174.

it may sound obvious, but check the wiring of your SB-610 to insure the component values and wiring are for 3395 khz. Also, you have to peak the coils within the SB-610 for max amplitude once connected. You should get a nice full screen image on the CRT if all is working OK. If not, I'd be checking the amplifier stages within the SB-610.

Interesting to note...if the gain pot on the SB-610 is full up and your on the low end of 80 meters...you'll get a feedback howl in the receiver. I've noticed this on all of my Heath transceivers with an SB-610 connected. When it occurs, you simply reduce the vertical gain pot until it goes away.

Mark V Johnson VE3LU