[Heath] UPDATE Re: Heathkit HW-100/101 S-meter trouble

Dick KF4NS kf4nsradio at verizon.net
Tue May 8 11:47:38 EDT 2012

Hey guys, this a halleluiah message. It may have taken me 6 weeks but after much diligence and attention
to detail, I have solved all problems and rig is working GREAT! I found that the cap from the crystal
filter output was connected wrong (pilot error while testing) and resoldered so many connections that I
am putting the iron away far out of sight. Of the 19 connections resoldered, 8 were wires on the chassic
bottom that after just a wiggle, pulled right out. When I built the rig in '70 I used Heathkit solder and
little flux except for heavy duty ground connections. Not sure if the solder or the wires or the flux was
the cause. I think some of the factory wires were not acceptive to solder and I should have sanded the
ends before soldering. On the final run test I heard some popping and found the last fault, it was a
small bridge of solder which was caused by the short I  caused in the beginning and was the hardest to
find. It left a pit in the circuit board mask so what can I use to add insulating to that section next to
the trace?

The most important fix was wiring for the ALC and AVC. Those solved the most of the troubles.
Thanks for all the support as I went along with my testing. One huge lessen learned was when probing with
the rig hot, be very vigilant and remove the probes with caution.

73, Dick KF4NS
St Petersburg, FL 33714 USA
Keep The Glow!