[Heath] Heathkit Closing Shop Again

Mark Garlanger garlanger at gmail.com
Fri May 11 20:38:01 EDT 2012

Heath did not sell the copyrights to the other company. I contacted Heath
inquiring about the old 8-bit computer documentation. Lori Marciniak, the
CEO, in Aug. 2011 replied:

"We retain the copyright to all Heath/Heathkit product material."

This is also stated on the wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit

Also, even though bankruptcy, doesn't release the manuals into the public
domain, unless someone buys up the rights. there is no one with legal
standing to sue the website hosting the manuals. At least that is how I
think it works, but IANAL.
Their computer related manuals are in an even grayer legal area. The
computer business was split from the educational division and sold to
Packard Bell. Depending on how the legal contracts were written up, the
rights to the computer manuals could have easily been transferred to
Packard Bell.

Mark