[Heath] HW-101 VFO

Bernie barcand at nccray.com
Sat May 12 09:30:14 EDT 2012

Please let me add my two cents (or a quarter's) worth. This HW-101 and power supply that David went through is now in my hands, and it is truly a sweet rig. Other than my digitally synthesized rigs (Icom 706 MKII-G and the Kenwood TS-430S), this HW-101 is more stable than my Hallicrafters SR-160, or even my Kenwood TS-830s hybrid. I can turn on the HW-101 from a cold start, find a nice two-sided QSO on 20 meters, dial it in, and maybe, after 10 or 15 minutes, just touch the VFO to move it 40 or 50 hertz and it's there the rest of the day.
I have David's notes on the way to the post office today, and he will have them in a day or two and I'm sure he will share with the list-serve anything he has failed to cover here. The new Jackson drive is superb, smooth, solid, and a joy to use.
Now this is the best part.  For those of you on the list-serve group that haven't heard this...this is the story of how I acquired this super transceiver.  David, W1EUJ, posted up that he had an HW-101 that would like to trade, but not for ham gear or other electronics. He was looking for something unique, and would be open to offers for two weeks, after which he would decide who offered the most unique item or items.  Since I am in northwestern North Dakota, the nation's #1 hot spot for oil exploration, drilling and production from the newly discovered Bakken (pronounced bawk'-ken) formation, I offered a pint of Bakken crude oil. I was amazed when David e-mailed me with his decision. I sent a bunch of 1.5 ounce miniatures labeled "Williston Basin Energy Festival, September 2011" along with a couple of bumper stickers, one saying "Rockin the Bakken" and the other "Fracturing the Forks".  The Three Forks/Sanish formation lies just 50 to 100 feet below the Bakken and is actually thicker and larger in size.  I also sent "Talkin the Bakken" a monthly oil patch publication, and of course I'd be remiss if I didn't send the state's latest North Dakota Travel Guide.
In collaboration with David, I'm preparing to produce a video of the HW-101 in operation for posting on You Tube, also telling the story of how he graciously parted with his labor of love, to provide an old man some real pleasure and enjoyment of operating this venerable piece of gear.  I cannot stress enough the fine job David did in the restoration of this. It looks factory fresh (with a few tiny paint chips on the front rim) and runs like a fine-oiled machine. Lot's of QSO's thusfar, even checking into the Heathkit Net on a Sunday afternoon and telling "the story".  Hats off to you, David, and thank you.  73

Bernie in ND
WD0GMD