[Heath] Heathkit CR-1

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu May 31 00:56:54 EDT 2012

I cannot figure out why the Heathkit CR-1(*) routinely sells for so much on eBay.

Perhaps some kind soul would tell me what the attraction is?

Secondly, I see from the schematic that the only real inductor in the CR-1 is labled
"Transformer", and also L1 and L2.

Does anyone have any specifications on this "transformer" they would care to share?

It looks like it must be some sort of ferrite cored "loopstick" type with a somewhat "lower
impedance" tap to the headphones.

I am toying with the idea of building a CR-1 clone from scratch here, just to see if there is
anything unusual about the receiver.

Oh. Also, what is the real difference between the CR-1 and the CR-1A?

Ken W7EKB