[Heath] EUW-24 VTVM info or manual needed.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Fri Nov 16 20:45:40 EST 2012

I have an EUW-24 VTVM here which was given to me by the U. of I. surplus.

It has some problems, and I would like to fix those and use the instrument.

The EUW-24 was a factory-built version of a kit VTVM, but I am not sure
which kit that was.

In any case, I need a manual for my unit or for the kit one that is identical
with it.

I have a schematic and the calibration procedure for the EUW-24, and have
built a proper probe for the VTVM.

The problems are:

1) when switching my probe to the DC position (with the 1 meg resistor in
line), when attempting to measure a 1.5 V drycell, the reading drops to zero.
If I have the probe set to AC/OHMs, the reading of a 1.5 V dry cell is close to
accurate. I have used an external digital VOM to check the probe, and with
the switch in the DC position, I read almost exactly 1 megohm. With the
switch in the AC/OHMs position, I read something like 0.5 ohms.

2) At OHMs settings of X100,000 and above (the last three), I cannot set the
meter to read infinity with the probe open. I can set the probe to read infinity
for all but the top three settings. I can set the meter to zero with the probe
shorted to ground in all settings.

I thought that perhaps the coax in the probe was leaky, so I unplugged the
probe. There was no difference.

I am hoping that a manual will help me figure it out.

Ken W7EKB