[Heath] HW100 loss of signal

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Fri Sep 14 20:43:22 EDT 2012

On 2012-09-14, at 3:45 PM, Dick KF4NS wrote:

>     Just when I thought I had all the problems solved and put the rig back in service, this ruins
>     my day.
>
>     I had the rig on 20M with great signals coming in, all is well for about an hour and suddenly
>     the S-meter
>     drops to zero and audio goes dead. I just touched the band switch which had been
>     completely gone over
>     during maintenance, and full service was again back. All contacts were working fine and
>     tested for
>     continuity. All bands were performing fine. I let it go and a while later it did it again. This time
>     switched from USB to LSB and it perked right up and both sidebands were fine. I decided to
>     try 40M and
>     15M. They never failed. Went back to 20M and guess what? It did it again !!

That sounds to me as though you have a problem down in the small boards that are around
the band switch. There is a shield over the "top" of them (when the rig is upside down).

I think I would look in the section that switches the heterodyne oscillator crystals. The
heterodyne oscillator crystals are mounted in there. Perhaps a loose connection, or a cold- or
no-solder joint.

Ken W7EKB