[Heath] SB-110A

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Apr 23 12:14:33 EDT 2013

On 23 Apr 2013 at 11:18, Dave Edwards wrote:

> Some of the old Heathkit HP23's had a toggle switch on it to switch
> bias voltage. ...Not sure if it was the 23 or 23A.

It was the 23A.

I added such a switch to my first 23. It's easy to add to the models without
one.

One thing you should watch is that the first model, the HP-23's +HV DC
output was noticably lower than in subsequent models. Something like 40 V
or more lower under load.

The reason is that the secondary AC output voltage was 266 VAC in the first
model, and 282 VAC in all subsequent models. But you have to find this out
either the hard way (like I did) or look closely at the schematics.

This 16 volt difference translates to 45 volts difference (16 * 2.828) after
getting through the voltage doubler supply, thereby making the +HV under
load low enough to effect the ease with which the parallel 6146s can reach
full output.

However, all models are rated the same, 820 VDC no load, on the HV. This
rating, is however, not true for the first model. Instead of 820 VAC, the output
would be 775 VAC no-load at best.

Also, two of the later models, B, and C, did NOT include a 6.3 VAC output
via a center-tapped 12.6 VAC winding. .

The "best" model is the HP-23A. That one has the higher +HV and does
include 6.3 VAC, the +LV switch, and adjustable bias, and is wire-able for
both 110 and 220 VAC input, therefore making it the most versatile model.

The "B" model did away with the center-tapped filament transformer, and the
adjustable bias, and the "C" model did away with both of those, plus the low
voltage switch.

The first model also had a pilot light which was done away with in all
subsequent models, but was 110 VAC input only.

Ken W7EKB