[Heath] VTVM Solid State Replacements

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Dec 19 11:46:35 EST 2013

On 18 Dec 2013 at 21:38, Gary H. Harmon, Jr. wrote:

> Are the 12AU7 and 6AL5 replacements available anywhere??

As far as I know, no. I have a pair of those around here somewhere
(Tubesters), but I removed them and put real tubes in their place. I really
didn't care for how those worked in my Heathkit VTVM.

However, I did run across a fellow on eBay a couple of months ago who
makes solid-state replacements for certain tubes. He uses FETs, and
modern techniques.

I bought two of his creations for my R-1004 receiver (part of the
AN/GRC-109 setup), SS versions of the 1T4 and for the 1L6. Both are
indistinguishable from the vacuum-tube versions as far as how they work,
except that their is LESS noise from them, and the HFO is MORE stable
now.

His prices are quite reasonable, and he mounts them inside was look like
glass tubes, so they even look like original vacuum tubes. For those who
want it, he even includes a colored LED to mimic the filament.

If there is interest, I'll go back and dig his info out of my voluminous files.

vy 73, and Merry Christmas to all.

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne