[Heath] SB-1000

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Jan 10 19:32:09 EST 2013

On 10 Jan 2013 at 17:43, Martin Tippin W0AKG since 1950 wrote:

> >> Got a Nice 1000 in and the HV is only 2600 on 220AC?? Ideas??
>
> > What's wrong with that? What's it supposed to be?
> >
> 3100- Underload 2200.

OK. According to the schematic diagram I have here, the voltage is
supposed to be "Approximately" 3100 VDC no-load, and "Approximately"
2700 at full load.

According to the manual, however, when you turn the amp on with no
excitation and the amp in standby, the NORMAL voltage reading can be
anywhere between 2700 and 3400 VDC. This is considered to be the
"normal range" of voltages as shown on that meter.

If you have a SAFE means of measuring the HV with some sort of accurate
HV meter, I would do that.

I am betting that the low reading is caused by the HV metering resistors,
R-401, R-402, R-403, and R-404 having deteriorated.

This has been a common problem in the SB-200, and SB-220. The fix is to
replace those resistors with HV resistors instead of those that Heathkit used.

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne