[Heath] "little" Apache problem!!

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:20:14 EST 2013

Hi, guys and gals,

This seems insane, but I simply can't get a decent spotting signal into my
Mohawk from my Apache.
I've realigned both and the rx is hearing better than ever (heck, the
calibrator is practically pinning the S meter). But, even at the recommended
6mA grid drive, hitting the spotting button on the Apache is very weak in
the rx, practically inaudible with normal band noise. The VFO and RF stages
are fine, getting tons of output on the DL.

I set the calibrator to WWV so it's spot on. And I used it as a signal
source in the rx to calibrate the band edges for the Apache. Put the coax
directly into the Mohawk and the spotting signal was OK then. But, going
through my Dow-Key (yes, I have the ports right...!), the spotting signal is
so darn weak. I remember my old Apache from 10 years ago had a really good
spotting signal, never a hint of trouble. Everything else is working fine.

What am I missing? There's no level adjustment for the spotting signal that
I can find referenced anywhere in the manual.

Sure would appreciate any advice on this one.

73,

Sandy AC1Y

Alexander N. (Sandy) Gerli
'Corgi Cottage'
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202
919-625-7181

A Scotsman walks about 900 miles each year
Scotsmen drink about 40 gallons of whisky each year
Scotsmen get about 25 miles per gallon