[Heath] SB-104A Tarnished Image...

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Sat May 4 21:01:34 EDT 2013

Hi, gang,

As some readers have observed, I've been fussing with RX sensitivity
suddenly/intermittently dropping from 20-over to S0 and coming back. Drives
ya nuts. I've bridged the COM/SEP switch thinking it was bad, cleaned all
the PC Board contacts, you name it. The problem would be gone for a
while...then it was back.

Well, I finally found the culprit, and anyone else ought to have a look
too, you never know:

Check the AGC switch wafer. Mine was tarnished almost black. Well, turning
the switch through its three notches didn't help much. It had always been
set on "Slow" and just left that way.

I decided to pull the knob collar off and remove the shaft. Then, using a
light touch and 0000 steel wool, polished very carefully. H