[Heath] SB-104A low tx audio problem

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Tue May 14 01:59:12 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,  thanks SO much for that tip. I'm going to get that done ASAP. I
have a whole stash of caps like that. Should do the trick.
73, Sandy AC1Y

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013, William Houghton wrote:

> Sandy,
>
> I had the exact same problem with my first SB-104A. No problem tuning up,
> a whistle blow would drive it to full power, but for normal speech I had to
> turn the mic gain up to the point where the audio amp broke into
> oscillation. After struggling with it for a long time I decide to connect
> an audio generator to the mic input. What I found was that it took a much
> larger signal to drive it at 300Hz than it did at 1000Hz. From about 1kHz
> and up the drive required was fairly constant.
>
> I solved this problem by replacing C204, 0.01uF cap, with a 0.1uF cap. I
> now make this change to every "B" board that comes across my bench.
>
> 73,
>
> Bill

God Bless You,

Alexander N. (Sandy) Gerli, Sr.
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202

Scotsmen walk about 900 miles each year.
A Scotsman drinks around 45 gallons of Whisky a year.
Scotsmen get about 20 Miles Per Gallon.