[Heath] SB-614 wierd traces - HELP!

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 22:08:30 EDT 2013

Greetings, Pals!

Well, I finally got my SB-614 going again after replacing a bad Horizontal
Gain pot.

So, I decided to do the whole setup procedure as per the Manual, just to
get back to Square 1.

Well, this has been a surprise. After adding the EE-BB jumper and turning
it on, I started to reset the Astig ans the Focus. Got a tiny spot, moves
right and left up and down. Used the Balance pots to even out the Hor and
Vert rates  of increase. But one odd thing I noticed: with no H gain, the
Vertical line has some sort of odd distortion, like an extra little
squiggly Vert line against the main line. With no V, the Horizontal gain
line doesn't seem to show any extra "line".

The I did the No H/Max V line and added in H to get the 45-degree line
which may need to be adjusted with the Balance pots. EGADS! it tries to
make like an oval! Got to be that wierd little vertical line messing
something up.

Now, as you can imagine, The ICOD Section of the Manual makes no mention of
such a condition. So, Now I don't know what to expect. I guess I'll put it
inline with my SB-104A tomorrow and see what kind of SSB waveform I get.
Should be interesting.

Anyone on the Reflector have an idea what might be wrong? The only changes
I've made to the Main Circuit Board have been two new 100uF/450V electros
to replace the 70uF/350V, and three new .15uF/3kV Mylar caps to replace the
old ones. That's in the PS section and can't imagine causing a problem like
this.

73,

Sandy AC1Y

Alexander N. Gerli, Sr.
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202

Scotsmen walk about 900 miles each year.
A Scotsman drinks around 45 gallons of Whisky a year.
Scotsmen get about 20 Miles Per Gallon.