[Heath] SG-8, Sig Gen, Band "E" Fudgy

G3OOU at aol.com G3OOU at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 12:57:52 EDT 2014

Hi Lin

Have you checked for any dry joints or poor switch contacts  on range E?
Apply a very small amount of switch cleaner to the switch  contacts.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns G3OOU
C  Eng, FIET, MSE
G-QRP 6907
Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club:  www.g3oou.co.uk
Technical web site: _www.qsl.net/g3oou_ (http://www.qsl.net/g3oou)
@BobFBurns on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/BobFBurns

digital-conjurers at roadrunner.com writes:

Got this  thing out of 5-year storage, cleaned it up, lubed/cleaned the
switches,  pots, tested the tubes, etc etc.....and it all works fairly well
for what  is it...but Band "E" is extremely erratic.  A thru D are  fine.

Have tried numerous fixes, tightened ground bolts, touched up  fudgy
soldering  jobs....no go.  Can sometimes get a squawk out  of it around 40
Mhz or so _ if I happen to bend the coil sub-chassis a bit  towards the
front panel....but it's very unreliable, not a permie  fix.

Switched tubes, too...no luck.

Clue: The fellow who had  this before me put in a 1Meg ohm pot in the audio
gain with no on/off  switch...can hardly see how this could affect the
case,
but...that band  "E" is nasty...all it used is the bus bars for inductance,

methinks.

Anyone have a similar issue and fix it with this  item?

Tubes tested on a Hickok  539B.

Tnx,

Lin/KJ6EF

Heath  mailing  list