[Heath] Wierd SB-614 trace problem!

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 22:55:48 EDT 2014

Hi, guys. I need some help. I'm working on my SB-614 trying to sharpen up
the trace. What's happening is that I can get a nice straight line trace
and focus it nicely. Checked the astigmatism and got that as sharp as
possible. Now, if I reduce the horizontal gain so there's only a short
horizontal line, half the screen width, there appear to be TWO distinct
horizontal traces, one parallel to the other and they are very close
together. Needless to say, my voice pattern appears to be out of focus even
when I have the resting focus set as sharp as possible.

Has anyone else run into this? And what component(s) did you change to cure
it? I've rebuilt the HV with new caps and diodes and changed a number of
resistors with the kit from Datapro. Something is still not right. My '610,
by comparison, has a nice sharp pattern after I rebuilt it last year.
Naturally, the "In Case" section of the Manual doesn't address a trace like
this.

​73,​

​Sandy AC1Y​

Alexander N. Gerli, Sr.
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202

Scotsmen walk about 900 miles each year.
A Scotsman drinks around 45 gallons of Whisky a year.
Scotsmen get about 20 Miles Per Gallon.