[Heath] More on the SB-104A rx noise...

ChrisIwata at aol.com ChrisIwata at aol.com
Thu Jan 9 12:45:39 EST 2014

Yes, the noise blanker on the SB104 causes lots of noise

This is due to the 1350 IC on the board. I no longer have the  schematic,
but as I recall the IC runs at full gain (I think it's  around 60dB)  then
the signal is attenuated so the board provides  unity gain when engaged. Doing
this lowers the signal, but the noise floor  is still there at high
intensity.

This also shows up as hearing ghosts. The 3rd order intercept (dynamic
range) is degraded, so you'll hear intermod ghosts from strong signals that are
 way off the tuned frequency.

Noise blankers are tricky: Virtually all have side effects that limit their
 usefulness.

I tried some from Drake rigs, making the blankers from  schematics. When
used on the 104, they weren't much better.

Chris, KL7DM