[Heath] [Heathkit:Yahoo] IP-28 Issues

Garey Barrell k4oah at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 22 09:58:12 EST 2014

Hi Gary -

I think your friend is missing part of the circuit operation. The 1 ohm pot never sees more than ~0.36 W, and the 100
ohm more than ~0.0036 W.

Q6 'senses' the voltage across R13 and R14 in series, and when it reaches ~ 0.6V, Q6 reduces the Base drive to Q4
dropping the voltage output to maintain that 0.6 VDC.  If he is blowing pots, I would suspect Q6 and its associated
circuitry is failing to limit that voltage.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs