[Heath] HW-16 transceiver questions

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Mar 9 01:23:29 EST 2014

On 7 Mar 2014 at 21:58, John Klingelhoeffer wrote:

> A couple of quick questions to the group regarding the HW-16 CW
> transceiver I am currently refurbishing.
>
> 1) I notice this has a circuit breaker in the mains primary instead of
> fuses. Seems like this is unusual for a Heathkit. This one is working
> fine, but I'm wondering if there have been any electrical safety problems
> with that approach over the years the HW-16 has been in the wild?

Never.

> (note:
> I've already changed to a 3-wire grounding AC mains cord and plug.)

Good.

> 2) I'd have to believe that the transmitter met the FCC requirements for
> harmonic and spurious emissions at the time it was designed and
> manufactured, but has anyone taken measurements on an HW-16 'lately' to
> see if it meets current requirements?

No. However, there is at least one modification out there which allows
adjustment of power output down to the 5 watt level. I have read a
statement by someone who, apparently, knows, that at lower-than-designed-
for power output, due to the change in final amp impedance, the harmonic
suppression is worse, and at that point, probably does not meet FCC
requirements.

I run mine through a Hi-Q antenna coupler so I have never worried about
it.

> 3) Has anyone come up with an AGC circuit for the HW-16 that works
> without adversely affecting the very good full-break-in QSK keying
> functionality? Running with no AGC is a real pain both operationally and
> on the ears.

Yes. Two, in fact. One by Hatch originally designed for the R-390
published in Electric Radio Magazine, and 2) one designed for one of the
HBR receivers, easily adaptable to the HW-16 (in fact, one HW-16 user
recently installed that). Both work very well, but the Hatch circuit is
simpler, and in my opinion, works better.

> 4) Has anyone come up with a more pleasing sidetone oscillator that is
> simple to integrate into the current circuity (phase-shift oscillator or
> something) rather than the somewhat raucous and raspy neon bulb
> relaxation oscillator? I'd sure like an internal sidetone option with a
> more pleasing tone.  I can adjust the amplitude of the current
> oscillator, but the waveform is just downright lousy.

Unless you are using crystals all the time and work cross-band, there is
really no need for such a sidetone oscillator. I eliminated my ugly neon
job completely, reduced the value of Q-1's biasing resistor in order to
keep it turned on a bit with the key down, and use the transmitter itself
as my sidetone. I much prefer this.

BTW, in the last ARRL DX Contest, I worked 30 some DX stations on 20 with
the HW-16 at 50 watts output. Great fun. I used a refurbished WRL-755A
VFO modified for blocked-grid keying.

Ken W7EKB