[Heath] HW-16 update and additional question (11 MAR 14)

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Mar 11 16:38:40 EDT 2014

On 11 Mar 2014 at 1:13, John Klingelhoeffer wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded and gave comments and
> suggestions to the questions regarding the HW-16
> refurbishment. Most were very helpful. I still have a
> locked slug in the 15M het oscillator coil form in the
> receiver that I may have to break out and retune with an
> external capacitor.

Well, actually, Radio Shack has (or had?) packages of various slugs. I have
repeatedly found good replacements in that package for slugs I had to
destroy to remove.

> Silicone spray was not the answer.
> That 15M LO level is a lot lower than 40 and 80 M.

Yes. That is common, but at the TP, they should all be about the same in
that rig.

> On
> the transmitter side, I seem to get 50-60 watts out on all
> three bands so I'm happy, happy, happy about that.

Good.

> The comments I have seen previously on the reflector
> about carbon composition resistors increasing in value
> on this old equipment is very important to heed. So far, of
> those removed or tested, all have been 15-20% high in
> value. Some also had very little 'headroom' in their
> dissipation.

Yes. I agree. 2 watters should be replaced with modern 3 watters, or even in
some cases, 5 watters.

> The order to the electronics parts place is
> already in process.
>
> Okay, so I won't say this is the last problem I'll post, but it
> is so far a vexing one. At even moderate audio levels, a
> strong station will cause something - I think the audio
> output tube - to regenerate the received tone. It sounds
> like the tube is oscillating in synchronization with the
> incoming CW and producing a strong keyed tone - sort of
> like a locked oscillator. It ends up being a LOT louder
> than the signal level.

Hmmmm......I have experienced that at times too.

> The troubleshooting instructions in the manual talk about
> the output transformer plate (blue) lead being too close
> to the PCB (and hence the grids of the audio amp tube)
> and causing 'howling'. I would not characterize this as
> howling (unrestrained audio feedback) - the oscillation
> only happens when the strong CW signal is there and
> ceases between dits and dahs. It's a keyed audio
> oscillation.

What is happening is that the stage or stages are on the edge of oscillation,
and the keyed signal being received "triggers" the oscillation off.

> Just in case, I moved the blue transformer lead all the
> way to the edge of the chassis per the troubleshooting
> hint, and I also shielded it with the braid from of a piece
> of RG-59 cable. However, no joy. Still as bad as ever.

OK. Then IMHO, that is not the problem.

> Also tried to replace the audio tube cathode electrolytic
> capacitor since I wasn't sure I'd changed that recently.
> No change. I performed the tube socket voltage tests and
> all were within a couple of percent.

Sounds to me as though you are somehow getting feedback from the audio
output back into the audio PRE-AMP.

Phase from input of an amp to its output is usually 180 degrees out of phase
(except for inter-electrode capacitance, which is only a factor at RF).
However, the preamp does the same thing, so that if you are getting
oscillation in the audio stage (which in the HW-16 is ONE tube.) in my
opinion, the feed back must be getting into the audio PRE-AMP.

> Until this gets fixed, I'm not going to attempt any of the
> increased gain mods for the IF and RF amps as they
> would be counterproductive.

Indeed.

> But, it needs to be fixed else
> the radio will be pretty useless. Anyone seen this before
> and found a fix for it?

I have a similar problem in one of my own HW-16s, but in that one I have
added an Autek QF-1 audio filter between the detector and the input to the
audio preamp. At the 80 Hz selectivity point of the filter, with the audio gain
up too high, I get the same sort of thing you are experiencing, and it is quite
loud too.

> I don't remember this sort of thing
> happening on the one I assembled and used back in
> 1968-1970.

More than likely it never did that. It seems that all HW-16s are "unique" in
certain respects.

> Should I just take a piece of insulated solid #16 buss
> wire, bring it up absolutely vertically from the PCB plate
> connection, and then route it over to the vicinity of the
> transformer before connecting to the blue transformer
> wire on a terminal strip under the transformer mounting
> screw?

Do you mean, to make certain the audio transformer is grounded?

> I can't think of any way of getting it any more
> quickly away from the PCB and putting space between it
> an the tube grids. I could use Teflon coaxial cable to
> make this a shielded run as well. Other thoughts?

My thoughts are that that isn't the problem. I think it is more subtle than that.
It may take some looking around with a scope.

I believe that there is at least one of the original Heath Company designers
on this forum. Maybe he'll jump in here.

Ken W7EKB