[Heath] SB-303 Noise Blanker Schematic

ChrisIwata at aol.com ChrisIwata at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 16:59:27 EDT 2014

I checked out the schematic for the noise blanker: It is not the same as
that for the SB104

If duplicated, it will probably (like the SB104 blanker) introduce lots of
noise. The signal is passed thru an amplifier IC that adds about 8db  of
noise. At least that's what the datasheet for the CA3012 says.  The  IC was
designed to be used in FM receivers where noise is not a concern.   The amp
has 70dB gain when run at full and typically was used as a limiting  amp. The
signal may overload the following stages, if so you'll have  intermodulation
problems as well.

The pot on the panel apparently set the threshold for when the blanker
kicks in.  But it seems if set too high even the intended received signal  will
not pass.  Don't know for sure since I don't have the rest of the  SB303
schematic.

Chris KL7DM

In a message dated 3/15/2014 7:00:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,