[Heath] Knob Inlays and Skirts

G3OOU at aol.com G3OOU at aol.com
Mon May 12 15:11:45 EDT 2014

Hi Ken

I have re-polished Heathkit knobs on my microlathe using a quarter inch
piece of rod in the chuck on which to mount the knob, some Brasso, a
toothbrush  and cloth. The problem is that it will tarnish again in time and the
brasso  needs cleaning off.

Ideally what is required is access to an anodising supplier since silver
anodising will last for a long time but it may require the aluminium parts
to be removed from each knob which is a more difficult task. Alocrom is much
easier but a less attractive finish.

The skirts can be removed by machining out the inside centre brass a little
 but they would need to be stuck back in after processing with an epoxy
adhesive.  I have done this in order to convert standard SB-Line knobs into
dual concentric  ones.

The front centre pieces are almost impossible to remove without damaging
them but a new thin piece could be stuck on top of the existing piece. Not
sure  if applying some heat would soften the existing adhesive without melting
the  body?

No idea what the cost would be to make new metal parts or even new
complete knobs - anyone any ideas on quantity - v - cost? There  must be a
significant demand.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns G3OOU
C  Eng, FIET, MSE
G-QRP 6907
Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club:  www.g3oou.co.uk
Technical web site: _www.qsl.net/g3oou_ (http://www.qsl.net/g3oou)
@BobFBurns on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/BobFBurns

kgordon2006 at frontier.com writes:

On 11  May 2014 at 15:04, Gary H. Harmon, Jr. wrote:

>     I  have a lot of the heathkit knobs on which the aluminum center and
skirt
>     have developed that corrosion look.

So  do I. If you find a solution, let me know, please.

Ken  W7EKB
Heath mailing  list
Heath at puck.nether.net