[Heath] SB-630 timer problem

Alexander N. Gerli ac1wye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:02:30 EST 2015

Hi, folks!  I have a nice SB-630 Console with a timer problem. When
switching from OFF to VISUAL, the two bulbs illuminate the "IDENTIFY" panel
and do NOT go off when the RESET button is pressed. When switched to AURAL,
the bulbs and the buzzer go on steadily. Seems as though there is either a
problem in the timer circuit or perhaps the relay was miswired.

So far, after close inspection, the relay IS wired correctly. Two tube subs
for the OA2 and the 6EW6 make no difference. Reset the Coarse and Fine
timer pots to center, no difference either. I see no shorts anywhere in the
wiring and the TIMER switch is wired correctly. I also note that when the
RESET button is pressed, the little NE2 neon bulb fires briefly as it is
supposed to do according to the theory of operation.

I'm puzzled! This is not my first '630, but my last one was perfect in
every way and I never gave it a second thought. Now I wish I hadn't sold it
last year, HI.

This can't be impossible to figure out. The ICOD section isn't much help
for this symptom.

​Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks and 73,​

​Sandy AC1Y​

Alexander N. Gerli, Sr.
548 Allred Mill Road
Mount Airy, NC 27030-2202

Scotsmen walk about 900 miles each year.
A Scotsman drinks around 45 gallons of Whisky a year.
Scotsmen get about 20 Miles Per Gallon.