[Heath] AR-3 issues.

Guy Giacopuzzi gggdds at js-net.com
Mon Apr 18 16:14:19 EDT 2016

Couple things here....
     Think about simply changing out /all/ of the tubes, if just on
general principles...you might find it makes quite a difference in terms
of performance. I've been learning the hard way from an SB-101 I've been
restoring that a tube tester doesn't detect mediocre tubes that should
be replaced.   Also, on general principles, replace /all/ of the
electrolytics with newer units.  This might get rid of your hum..
     Secondly, I used a newer generation Heathkit as my first novice
receiver--the GR-64.  It's sensitivity was amazing, but of course, it's
selectivity was as wide as a barn door when used less the matching
Q-multiplier.    But I used a technique my elmer taught me--get
selective to the /tone/ of CW signals.  Now while the 64' only had four
tubes, I think it will outperform any AR-3, at least in my experience.
      Of course, if you decide to "re-kit" the unit or another, test
each resistor and cap prior to installation.  I'm currently rebuilding
(from a re-kit) an AR-3 at my second home--been working on it on and off
when it snows too hard at my 2nd home in Mammoth Lakes..and as a result,
it's still not finished after about 10 years....
Guy