[Heath] AR-3 - another question

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Mon Apr 18 17:57:41 EDT 2016

The Heath Lab series of signal generators, LG1 and its descendants  often
have problems with the vernier.  I had a couple with the problem.  The
recommended procedure was over a  period of days to flow lighter fluid,
which is very flammable, down the gap between the concentric shafts and turn
the shaft back and forth while holding the plates in place.  I forget the
detail, but if this procedure did not free things up, the shaft was to be
heated with a very large old style soldering iron, which would cause shellac
like gunk to flow out of the concentric shafts.  Of course you don't do this
until you are sure all lighter fluid has evaporated.  There is probably
someone on this or other Heath groups who can shed more light on this. I
hope so as I have forgotten the details.

Bob W2WG