[Heath] AR-3 Post

Al & Dottie Skierkiewicz markaren1 at att.net
Wed Apr 20 11:25:42 EDT 2016

I have rivets on my mind with the high school robot I have been working on.  The FIRST Robotics Championship is next week in St. Louis.
Yes, the tube sockets use screws to mount to the chassis.  The hardware/sockets have deteriorated over the years and just doesn't provide the low impedance they once did.  I am considering alternatives.The "mirroring" I mentioned is the tendency of the original builder to "mirror" in their mind the top side of the chassis and the bottom when they turned the chassis during construction.  This was most apparent on the mounting and wiring of the speaker transformer and parts near it.  On the accessory socket, the pins were wired with the same 'mirror' error.  Pin 1 was flipped with 8, 2 with 7, etc.  Since there are only 3 pins used for the Q Mult, the filaments turned on but there was no high voltage.I am also confused (as a previous post stated) that Heath did not put a blocking/coupling cap in the IF output intended for the Q Mult.  For those of you working on this radio, plate voltage appears at that RCA phono connector on the back panel.  The Q Mult has a blocking cap in that lead in the multiplier.Attached is a picture of the mica IF caps after removing it from the bottom of the IF can.  You can see the migration of the silver and other contamination.AlWB9UVJ