[Heath] Heath AR-3

Guy Giacopuzzi gggdds at js-net.com
Sat Jan 23 11:32:54 EST 2016

Well, I'm not quite a generation later, that is, younger than Glen....it
was 1967...I was in seventh grade.... when my parent got me my first
'real' shortwave receiver, a Heathkit GR-64....it has four tubes, a bit
of a regenerative BFO, and a sliderule dial.  It's "two generations"
beyond the AR-3...the first being the GR 91, which was almost the same
receiver less the built in AM loopstick.  I have a "mess of" GR-64's
because I have such an affection for them...I got my first Novice
contact (in San Francisco, I was in San Gabriel, CA at the time) on the
GR-64, and that took some doing because it's selectivity is all of a
couple stages of 455kc IF's....It was one hot SWL receiver, much better
than the AR-3, and I logged a large number of SWL broadcast stations on
it...it's sensitivity was amazing, esp with that BFO.  I later got the
"period accessory" , the GD-125 Q multiplier, which was an updated
version of the QF-1 (I think the difference was the QF-1 didn't have
it's own power supply....)...that has proved to be a very hard to find
item on the used market...I /still /don't have one...., but I do have 3
GR-64's, one GR-91, one GR-81 and one or two GR-54's....And Glen,
/anything/ is better than a Halli S-38!!!  Those were Heathkit's "heady"
days, and they really turned out some FB SWL machines, running on fewer
tubes than most of their competitors, and running circles around them
all the time....
Does everyone realize that SWLing was our "internet" back then???

Guy