[Heath] Heath AR-3

N4ch at aol.com N4ch at aol.com
Sat Jan 23 17:30:06 EST 2016

I never built any of the early Heath SWL tube-type receivers  (the first
Heath receiver I built was an SB-300), but I DID build one of the  competing
receiver kits that Hallicrafters sold, beginning in about  1962.   This was
their model S-119K (the "K" meant it was a kit), a  simple BC-16 MHz 3-band
(and just 3 tubes !) SW radio that was marketed as a  special commemorization
item, celebrating the 100th receiver model produced  since their S-19 Sky
Buddy.   I first saw it advertised in Boy's Life  magazine, and it originally
sold for $29.95 in kit form (later upped to $39.95),  and the wired version
was $49.95.   I built mine when I was  12........took me a year to get it
working right, and I still have  it.   The S-119K was also known as the Sky
Buddy II.    Performance-wise, it wasn't much different from the S-38 series,
but it DID have  one item that those receivers lacked: a
transformer-operated power supply, so it  was inherently a lot safer.   Hallicrafters actually
sold quite a  variety of kits, including the SX-140 ham-band-only receiver,
the matching  HT-40 AM/CW transmitter (both covered 80-6 meters), and
several simple pieces of  test equipment, including a VTVM, signal generator, and
resistor and capacitor  substitution boxes.   I own a Heathkit AR2 and AR3
(and even one of  the AR1 receivers that came before), but I'm still looking
for the K1 and K2  receivers that used plug-in coils.

73, Herman, N4CH.

In a message dated 1/23/2016 3:57:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,