[Heath] A possible AR-3 "upgrade"...

ChrisIwata at aol.com ChrisIwata at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 13:58:54 EST 2016

The overwhelming reason for lower sensitivity and S/N at higher freqs  on
the those early general coverage radios is they used the same 365pF  (AMBC
radio) tuning capacitor on all the bands..

Those pentagrids all used Hartley oscillators.  At the higher freqs,  the
L-C ratio was unfavorable.  On my AR-2, I measured 4Vrms on the  oscillator
grid for the AMBC band.  This dropped to 0.5Vrms on the 10-30Mhz  band.  So
both the sensitivity and S/N ratio went downhill. Plus the  pentagrid ran
hot, drew more juice on the higher freqs.

If they had added caps in series with the 365pF tuning cap (to effectively
create a smaller tuning cap) and increased the coil inductances on the
higher  bands, things would have been better. But then you'd have a nighmare
with  tracking, trying to get the antenna coils to jibe.

The Franklin (not Vackar as I previously stated) oscillator overcomes this
problem.  It has to do with how the feedback to create oscillation  is
derived: For Franklins, the tap on the coil is unused. My Franklin  produced
4Vrms on the AMBC band and still 3Vrms on the 10-30Mhz band with that  365pF
tuning capacitor. This is why Franklins are used often for signal  generators,
good well above 100Mhz.

Chris, KL7DM

In a message dated 1/25/2016 10:02:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,