[Heath] LMO rebuilding....did I mess it up?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Mar 13 20:52:02 EDT 2016

On 13 Mar 2016 at 15:30, Guy Giacopuzzi wrote:

> Ok, that's the first mistake I made in rebuilding it...I made so at the full,
> counterclockwise position, the capacitor was close to fully closed; I should
> have set it up fully open...so that when I turn the dial clockwise, the LMO
> frequency should go down, right?

Hmmm.....that, I don't remember, but when I have some spare time (we are
building an addition to our home, which is taking up most of our time), I'll
yank one open and take a look. I can't imagine how one could purposely
reverse the direction of tuning, though

>  As the indicated frequency goes up, the LMO
> should be descending from 5.5 to 5.0mhz, right?

Correct. For instance, on 80 meters, at the indicated frequency of 4.0 MHz,
the output of the LMO should be 5.0 MHz, and at an indicated frequency of
3.5 MHz, the output of the LMO should be at 5.5 MHz.

The EXACT frequencies will depend solely on the frequency accuracy of
your heterodyne oscillator crystals.

The same holds true for all the other bands too.

>  I set mine up doing just the
> opposite..LMO is going up when indicated freq is going up, which is
> wrong....Gotta take the darn LMO out again..... Guy

Sigh....yes....

My sincerest condolences. :-(

BTW, I have always considered those LMOs to be very beautifully built.

Ken W7EKB