[Heath] Heath HW-10 Shawnee Reconstruction Disappointment

Doug & Kathy Davies dkdavies3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 21:53:26 EST 2017

I've completed all of the under-chassis wiring and have arrived at the
point of stringing the transmitter dial cord on the front panel.  I got it
all connected but the transmitter tuning knob won't turn the VFO variable
capacitor.  The capacitor is just too 'stiff'.  I can barely turn it with
my fingers.  The cord just slips on the tuning shaft.  I re-strung the dial
cord to make sure it had no slack but still no joy.  I can't figure out why
that capacitor is so stiff.  If I can't get it to turn, it will likely be
the project stopper.

Has anyone restored one of these rigs and run into this problem?  Any
suggestions on how to get it to work?  I thought of putting some kind of
"stickum" on the line to possible improve the friction but I'm open to any
and all suggestions.

Doug
VE7DRF