[Heath] Replacing dial lights with LEDS in SB-102

rgroh at swbell.net rgroh at swbell.net
Tue Jan 3 11:54:58 EST 2017

I don't have an exact answer to your question but I don't think there is anything out there that gives you exactly what you want.  You are entirely correct that most LED's are pretty much unidirectional - i.e. they radiate in a front facing cone of light.  As an electronics engineer (now retired) I rather rapidly slip into the design mode and think about how I would make a solution. We need a structure to hold an LED (or maybe 2 or three **) so they shine down into the dial area. Then we need a small number of extra parts to drive the LED's (which need DC) from the existing bulb source (essentially 12 VAC).  Then we need a way to connect our new little LED assembly electrically to the old bulb.  All very doable but they will require a bit of thought to pull it off.  I don't own any Heathkit gear at the moment although I certainly have some other older radios that could benefit from an LED approach.
Good luck - let us know what you find out.
** Two LED's might be a nice choice as you could put one across the other in reverse polarity arrangement.  Then one acts as a reverse protection diode for the other.  Also means a single dropping resistor.  So 2 LED's and one resistor.
73Bob Groh, WA2CKY