[Heath] Fw: SB-102 S-Meter operation

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 14:38:01 EDT 2017

Methinks a typo!  The cathode resistors in the SB-102 are 10-ohms and not 20-ohms.

As for the "S" meter reading:  You need to check the sensitivity of the receiver portion and the "S" meter reading using a signal generator with an accurate attenuator.  A signal level of 50-microvolts is the EIA standard for S-9.  Many of the Japanese units have "S" meters that are definitely not calibrated to the standard and also are no where being accurate in the "dB over" range.

The Japanese manufacturers got into a "war" a number of years back with each claiming that their receivers were more sensitive than the other manufacturers.  What they actually did was to reduce the signal strength needed for S-9 and eliminate a true dB over reading.  As such, those units read considerably higher for the same signal level than those S"S meters calibrated by the ol EIA standard.

All my "S" meters are calibrated for S-9 = 50-microvolts and I have an above average antenna array.  Often, signals do not even reach S-9 and it takes a local to achieve a 20 dB over reading.  An operator, who lives 5-blocks from me and who runs a Heath SB-200 amplifier, often doesn't even make it to a 40 dB over level.  But, way too many operators these days are used to getting a minimum of S-9 and often "20 dB over" to even as much as "60 dB" over and are insulted if you give then less than an S-9 reading.  Therefore, I generally resort to the system that we used when the majority of receivers did not have an "S" meter.  If the station is in the clear and strng enough to easily copy, there are an S-9.

 Glen, K9STH absite: http://k9sth.net