[Heath] Replacement Capacitor Needed

G3OOU at aol.com G3OOU at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 04:04:57 EDT 2017

Hi Doug

I think that you are referring to C59 across the high voltage secondary of
mains transformer T-1. This capacitor must have a voltage rating in excess
of  1.414 times the rms voltage across it plus an allowance for the mains
supply to  rise to its maximum tolerance and then some additional contingency.
The  1600v rating seems very reasonable to me.

You can get high voltage ceramic capacitors and use two or three in
parallel to make the total capacitance required.

I assume that the original capacitor was intended to reduce spikes from the
 mains as it is a large value and probably the wrong type of construction
for  high frequency RF decoupling.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns G3OOU,  G-QRP 6907, @BobFBurns