[Heath] HW-10 Power Transformer Testing Questions

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 14:27:48 EDT 2017

Hi Doug,

If you want to be safe, use a fuse in the primary connection -or- use a
series connected light bulb. If there is anything like high 'leakage' or
a short the fuse will blow or the bulb will light full on. Did you
measure the resistance from the windings to the frame? That should be open.

73,

Bill  KU8H

On 10/26/2017 01:50 PM, Doug & Kathy Davies wrote:
> Yesterday I managed to get all of the power transformer wires
> disconnected and ran a continuity test on all of the windings.  The
> 120vac primary checked out indicating a very low resistance which, I
> think, shows it's fine.
>
> There are two additional primary windings, one for 12 and one for 6 volt
> operation that utilize a split-reed, dual-interrupter vibrator.
> Resistances between connections for each of these windings all showed
> very low (0.5ohm) resistances.  Since I won't be using either 6 or 12
> volts for this rig, values here really don't matter, I don't think :).
>
> The resistance between ends of the secondary winding is 52ohms and
> between the end and the center tap it's 26.6ohms so I think the
> secondary is ok as well.
>
> I would like to apply power to this transformer to ensure is is indeed
> working as it should.  Should I use a Variac/isolation transformer setup
> to do this?
>
> The 6 and 12 volt windings require the use of the vibrator so, if this
> isn't in the circuit, there should be no interaction, correct?
>
> There is a tap in the 6-volt primary winding that is used to obtain
> filament voltage.  I should be able to measure this voltage on the
> filament lines once 120vac is applied, correct?
>
> I hope I haven't exceeded my question limit for one post:)
>
> Doug  VE7DRF

bark less - wag more