[Heath] HP-23 power supplies - an idea and some questions.

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 23:40:35 EST 2018

Hi,

I haven't looked for a while but some of those ratings are DC *input* to
the plate. Later tables from the same sources list the output power. Now
I need to look again. All three of the transmitters I have with a pair
of 6146 tubes run much closer to 900 volts on the plates and one of them
is even slightly over 900 volts. There have been no problems with the
higher voltage and I run mine conservatively anyway at lower plate
current (offsetting the higher voltage in the power equations). I do try
to pay attention to "absolute maximum plate power dissipation". But even
those can be 'pushed' and I have heard of 1200 volts on 6146s. Yikes.  I
do not push the pair(s) much over about 90 watts out and more often 60
watts or less.

Ken's proposed empirical test seems worthwhile if he wants the
efficiency. I'm not sure that winding would see all of that DC applied
but "ratings" and actual limits may be different in your favor. Use the
series light bulb trick for testing just to minimize or prevent major
smoke damage and shrapnel. Let us know how that works out. I have put
the buck or boost winding on the primary side where the steam pressure
is much less. In your case that raises the heater voltages as far as I
know - assuming the transformer has all the winding in just one unit.

Put the iron you are testing under an inverted steel washtub in the back
yard with the series light bulb outside of the tub. Stake the tub down
at the handles. I have taken those measures when other people told me I
could 'not do that' but the science suggested I could. I never made any
smoke or shrapnel but I still do that for "new ideas" with potential
unpleasant results. My next use may be for experiments with rechargeable
lithium batteries.

73,

Bill  KU8H

bark less - wag more