[Heath] HW-101 VFO

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Mar 4 21:41:16 EST 2018

I thought I would check here to see if anyone beside myself had run into this problem: I am
working on a friend's HW-101 which he recently bought at a garage sale for $50.00 with an
HP-23 and a Heathkit speaker.

The HW-101 was extremely dirty, not having been used for some time, but cleaned up well,
and was apparently very well-built.

The problem is that after the rig has been on for a bit, the VFO quits. Completely.

I hooked my Tek 2467B scope to the output coax and although when cold, the output is
good and is a pure-looking sine wave, within about 15 minutes at the longest, the output
amplitude begin to fall, then suddenly completely disappears.

I have a "spare" HW-101 VFO here which I "clip-leaded" into place, and with that one in
operation, the rig works exactly as it should. It even appears to be properly aligned.

So...has anyone else here experienced such an issue with an HW-101 VFO, and if so, what
did you discover?

I'm going to remove the bad VFO sometime next week.

I suspect I will find a bad solder joint in it somewhere, but I am also suspicious of a bad
component. But which one?

Also, are replacement Jackson ball-drives still available? These are a bit rough.

Ken W7EKB