[Heath] SB-200 and AM

Bill Guyger bguyger at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 14:48:25 EDT 2018

 It's kind of interesting to see this discussion. The latest thing in AM broadcasting is MDCL Modulation Dependent Carrier Level. At 0% modulation carrier level is at full power. At 100% modulation carrier is at 50% of full power. It's supposed to save money for high power broadcasters, and does save about $300.00 a month for our 50 KW station WBAP but I haven't noticed all that much of a saving at our 25 KW station KTCK so I guess the jury is still out. The process is supposed to be transparent to the listener and it is basically if you live in a strong signal area but it does become apparent in the out laying areas.
The Nautel transmitter at WBAP just required a plug and play external controller to be added. The Harris / GatesAir transmitter at KTCK required replacing one board and adding a second board in the control cabinet plus some rewiring of remote control connections.
Bill AD5OL
    On Sunday, May 20, 2018, 8:04:05 AM CDT, Kenneth G. Gordon <kgordon2006 at frontier.com> wrote:

 On 19 May 2018 at 23:44, jerrylofstead at bellsouth.net wrote:

> Oh yes! Controlled carrier the RF level varies at a voice rate.  DSB SC(supresed carier) was
> produced by putting two tubes in push-push...  usually push pull grids and paralell plates.

vy 73,

Ken W7EKB

---