[Heath] Controlled-Carrier and audio quality.

ChrisIwata chrisiwata at aol.com
Sun May 27 15:40:38 EDT 2018

Yeah, what you're talking about is the AGC time constant

If vintage AM radios used short AGC time constants to track rapid QSB
better, than controlled carrier  AM probably sounded like AMBC
(commercial AM) with lots of QSB.  Those radios weren't very quiet, so
that amplified the problem.  And back then, everybody was on 80 or 40,
which have high noise levels anyway

For SSB, the carrier is re-injected at the product detector, so QSB is
not as noticeable.  Longer AGC time constants are acceptable.

  I often listen to Arnie Corro @ Radio Havana.  If the signal is S3
with QSB, I'll switch to SSB mode and zero beat.  The copy becomes R4.
Amazing.  Or, I'll pull out the old Kitchin Regen and set it to just at
oscillation.  This re-injects the carrier, plus the bandwidth is really
decreased.  Both help to get good copy.   I don't have a radio with DSP

Unless the ITU updated their classifications for radio emissions, there
is no classification for controlled carrier AM.  AMBC is A3E, SSB is J3E

Chris