[Heath] Need Weston meters for Heath Chippewa KL1 Linear amplifier

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Oct 11 13:15:10 EDT 2018

On 11 Oct 2018 at 0:40, James R Hain wrote:

> I think the unit has the high Voltage on the meter which is very dangerous. Always measure the
> cathode current The person who had it before may have disconnected it for that reason. So be
> very careful!

Yes. The Chippewa DOES have the full HV on the meter. The reason is that in those days,
in order to meet FCC requirements, plate power input at the KW level had to be accurately
measured.

Glenn Zook has information on his website which corrects this dangerous situation by
moving the "plate current" meter into the low voltage areas of the system. I forget exactly
where it is moved, but I believe it is moved into the cathode circuit.

And yes, you are correct, in that many users of the Chippewa bypassed that meter in the
interests of safety.

The meter(s) may be OK, simply disconnected.

In any case, be extremely careful when you work on this amp. It is a good amp, by the way.

Ken W7EKB