[Heath] Heathkit VTVM Test Cables

Richard raitchd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 14:36:40 EST 2019

I have Heathkit VTVM's that need new test cables. The cable for the
IM-18 has the special phone plug and the AC and DC test wires with the
AC-DC switch are both shielded within the same shield. Is it necessary
to shield either or both of these test leads? It might make sense to
shield the AC lead.

I also have a V7-A that has the three input connectors. It came with
test leads that are probably not original. In this case the DC test lead
is shielded and the AC test lead is not shielded. Same question here. Is
it necessary to shield either or both test leads?

I need to make new test leads for both meters.

My Fluke 179 does not have shielded test leads and works just fine.

What am I missing?

Richard KC9UB