[Heath] Fwd: Fwd: Final transistors for SB 104A

Chris Iwata chrisiwata at aol.com
Fri Sep 24 17:40:23 EDT 2021

Well, we're off topic now.  This thread was supposed to be about the
SB104 finals

To be fair, those MFC6030 ICs failed due to domino effect.

In both the SB104 and HP1144 regulator circuits, the IC current capacity
was boosted by a pass transistor.  The transistor failed, leading to
failure of the IC.  The transistor failed from something connected to
the regulator circuit drawing too much current.

In the power supply case, this was dangerous. The transistor shorted
out. Instead of 13.8v going to the SB104, if there was no crowbar, it
would have been around 20v.

In the SB104 the voltage to the digital ICs was too high, so they drew
more current.  It needed to be 4.75v to 5.25v.  But because of 10%
resistor tolerances it was higher. So the transistor overheated.
Luckily,  in this instance the transistor open circuited, so the
regulator output voltage went to zero.

Chris, KL7DM