[inet-ops] Prefix Pollution

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Dec 14 09:45:57 EST 2004

>> i proposed to rodney today, there are three types of prefix
>> pollution.
>>   o pure crap, such as that we see on top of the weekly
>>     report
>>   o someone traffic engineering
>>   o legitimate holes (someone moving from at&t's 12/8)
>
> I like this. If we can come up with some reasonable
> definitions for this then perhaps we can talk
> Team Cymru into providing these "prefix attributes"

absolutely no need.  engage brain, please.

> The big task is going to be identifying the
> traffic engineering and the legitimate holes.

they are self-identifying.  shift brain to second
gear.

or just read the rest of my message.

    a hardcore <bleep> such as i might just filter them all

    a friendlier type might just dump longer prefixes if they
    had the same origin asn (the new part of the suggestion)

    a southern californian might only dump a longer prefix
    if it has the same next hop as the covering prefix

randy