[iptv-users] VC-1 encoder appliances and encoding settings?

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Fri Aug 14 14:18:37 EDT 2009

So it's amazing how fast plans can change. :)

I now need to track down VC-1 encoders instead of h264.  Appliances that
present a web interface for management and don't run on windows are a
major plus... (so digital rapids doesn't make the list).

HD inputs are important.

So far I'm finding near-nothing for HD VC-1 appliances.  A few SD units,
and Tandberg's mythical EN5980 (it's in press releases, but no model info
on the website) are about it so far.

Anyone have any pointers, suggestions, opinions?

Also, any advice on tuning VC-1 encoding settings for live?  Our current
environment is SD content at 1M and 200k, mpeg4p2.  I've been testing and
tweaking (SD) h264 for the past few weeks but it's been ruled out...man,
VC-1 is pretty ugly at those rates.  But it's the only option to get it to
the browser via multicast. :/   I haven't been able to find much
information on tweaking VC-1 (right now out of DR's hardware/software).

Thoughts?

.d
--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html