[iptv-users] STB/video stream monitoring

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Wed Jul 1 09:33:19 EDT 2009

When I say "finger pointing", it's usually a battle between the
middleware vendor, the stb vendor, the encoder vendor, and the
(multiple) network vendors.  Obviously, not all at the same time,
depends on the problem we're seeing.

It just gives you a no-nonsense determination of what the problem is,
which will usually target the culprit.  Also, on really tough cases,
Ineoquest will help analyze the data and gives you a well formatted
report that shows and tells what the actual problem is.  Most of the
vendors involved with IPTV trust Ineoquest (and the other vendors in
this arena as well), so will really listen to you if you start sending
them reports from this type of gear.

I haven't needed to use the gear to determine bad plant issues, our
DSL plant equipment has enough counters in it to make the
determination of whether the plant is the culprit.  I have had to use
it in deeper problems, such as issues with CC data being incorrectly
encoded or decoded, non-moving, constant anomolies in the video
decode, VBR streams that were so variable that the flow changed from
1.8 to 11 Mbps (blowing the STB buffer), etc.

Alex