[iptv-users] Open source IPTV bits

Frank Bulk - iName.com frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Jun 11 23:07:21 EDT 2009

Certain content providers require encryption/conditional-access -- best of
luck trying to get them to approve an opensource DRM.  You need all the
funding and resources of companies like Verimatrix, Widevine, Latens,
Irdeto, Nagravision, etc to make that happen.

>From my perspective, if a telco wants to provide IP TV, after all the market
and business research, the next thing to work on is content and encryption.
The middleware, STBs, and network generally falls into place after that.
Fortunately, there are companies that will help with the content licensing
process (i.e. TeleChannel, National Telco TV Consortium, NRTC, and NCTC).

Frank